As a company that hires many graduates, enabling access to continuing higher education is a cause that is important to us. Each semester, Comparakeet gives a scholarship to one student who provides the most outstanding answer to some question that has been important to us during that time. Winning entries will be published on our blog and accredited to the writer.
As we grow as a company, we hope to continue expanding our scholarship program to cover more students with more funding.
Details on how to apply are below. Please review the requirements carefully before applying. Winning students will be required to provide proof that they meet these requirements before receiving the scholarship.
Please write a 1,000 – 1,500 word opinion piece on the following topic:
Accountability Online & The Nature of Truth
Over the past year, we have heard many questions about truth in the online world. Fabricating and disseminating misinformation, from small misrepresentations to flagrant falsehoods, is sometimes even easier than spreading truthful information. Compounding the issue, we as consumers are increasingly likely to stay within our ‘comfort zones’ when it comes to consuming information.
As an independent product and service review site, Comparakeet often competes with information sources of questionable ethical integrity – for example, websites that accept monetary compensation in exchange for rating one product more highly than another.
As students, your work and studies, and therefore also at least some portion of your outlook on the world, rely increasingly on information found online.
What are the implications of this in the future? Are there reliable ways in which to counter this? The Oxford Dictionary word-of-the-year is post-truth, describing circumstances where facts are “less influential in shaping public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief.” Is this something you believe, and how does this impact us as a society?
How to Write a Winning Essay
This is a topic that has been thoroughly discussed. A strong essay will show solid knowledge of the topic while bringing to the table original thoughts and ideas. As always, a well-outlined train of thought is key.
Submitting Your Essay
- This scholarship is for the Fall Semester of 2017.
- All essays must be received by the end of the day on April 28th, 2017.
- Please save your essay as a Word document and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please title your e-mail “Fall 2017 Scholarship Submission – Last Name, First Name.”
- Please include a brief (50-100 words) personal bio. This bio may be published on our blog along with the submitted essay.
- Please note that before receiving any scholarship, selected essay writers must provide proof of identification and current enrollment as described in the requirements section below.
- All essays must be submitted by April 28th, 2017.*
- The student must be currently enrolled in, or enrolled to begin higher education studies in the Fall 2017 semester.
- Applicants must be permanent residents of the United States.
- Comparakeet has the rights to the submitted content and may publish it at its own discretion.
* This is an on-going scholarship offered twice per year. This deadline refers to the current cycle only.
For questions or comments, feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com.