HER brags that they are the “biggest, baddest, boldest space for queer womxn.” Their goal is to create a community of like-minded women who want to meet, chat, date or just hang out.
Here are some cool features of HER:
- Meet is where you get matched with profiles who meet your age and distance criteria. Swipe to like or dismiss, a feature similar to Tinder. If there is a mutual like, you’re free to message each other.
- Feed allows you to interact with users without needing to be matched or friends. It’s similar to Reddit for lesbians. Post comments and add images to communicate your interests.
- Events lists places to go and things to do. Post where to meet at the annual Dinah Shore Weekend in Palm Springs.
- Great way to mingle!
- Online Now lets you view profiles of people that are online when you are. So if you like her, she will know instantly! No waiting!
- Rewind Profiles lets you rewind back to profiles you previously checked.
- See Who Liked Me shows all the profiles that have ever liked you.
- Change location
- Unlimited Swipes
- MixHER is available only on iOS
- Read Receipts lets you see when your message was read.
Signing up is easy. You need either a Facebook or Instagram account to verify your identity. This weeds out the creepy guys who want a threesome or just don’t get that some women only want women.
- Download the app from iTunes for iOS devices or Google Play for Android.
- Sign in with either Facebook or Instagram
- HER will automatically build your profile for you using your name, age and last 6 profile pictures from your Facebook/Instagram account – don’t worry, you can change or add more pictures later!
Matching and Search Options
HER finds you matches based on your profile. You need to provide basic information about yourself – name, age, height, sexual orientation, gender identity, relationship status, photos, text items and friends list.
Uploading 8 photos is recommended. Any less, it’s not enough to communicate who you are. Any more and you might come off as being too self-absorbed. If you prefer the free option, you can view photos of the people who like you but you can’t view their profile. This might be a good reason to whip out the credit card and go premium.
Also, messaging is unlimited as a freebie but can only be sent to friends and mutual matches. Reason #2 to pay! You can also view members’ friends list. And they can view yours. On the downside, there’s no manual search option.
Messaging is only available to your Friends and Matches on the app. Send a Friend request or hit the Like button to get things rolling. To meet more women in a casual setting, check out the Feed feature. Social network your way into the community by sharing and commenting on things that are important to you.
The Event section is another way to meet without the awkwardness of a first date. Here you can extend an open invitation to an Orange is the New Black-themed Halloween party at your fave lez bar. Be proactive, not inactive!
HER also has an active social media presence. Use Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr and LinkedIn to check out who you might want to send a Like to!
Pricing options include free messaging and paid premium subscriptions. The premium subscription plans have all the basic free features but also include Online Now, Rewind Profiles, See Who Liked me, Change Location, Unlimited Swipes, MixHER and Read Receipts. HER’s pay to play plans are pricey but the experience is so much richer.
Cancelling your paid premium subscription is easy BUT you will not be refunded for any remaining days. And don’t forget to turn off the auto-renewal feature on either your iTunes or Google Play account if you are thinking about cancelling.
Privacy and Security
Don’t be concerned about the location sharing feature. This will only signal in miles where you are – not your exact location. And though you sign up with Facebook or Instagram, nothing is ever posted to these accounts. HER just uses these social media outlets to verify that every user is female-identified.
Support options include a troubleshooting guide, focusing on 12 potential problem areas, such as sign up, login, bugs, cancel subscription, etc. A Knowledge Base provides guides and how-to articles in 11 areas. And if all else fails, there’s always email.
What's the Verdict on HER?
HER Review 2020 – Conclusion
HER is 100% queer and here to stay! An app that’s designed for female-identified, non-binary gendered and queer folks is a welcome alternative to the hetero-centric apps or websites on the internet.
Be prepared to pay top dollar for the premium subscription plans. Their free option is too limiting. Reports of bugs and glitches by Android users are being addressed by periodic updates by HER’s technical team.
Growing pains aside, HER provides queer women a chance to meet and connect at both the local and global level. It’s an app that does it’s purpose best- to help single lesbians meet and mingle with each other and hopefully find true love, among other functions. If you’re looking for a dating app that exclusively serves non-binary gendered ladies, then this app is for you!